Santos was 15th BuCor exec killed near Bilibid since 2011 — Gordon



February 20 ------ Slain suspended legal division Chief Fredric Anthony Santos was the 15th Bureau of Corrections official killed in the vicinity or near the Bureau of Corrections since 2011 but none have been solved yet, Senator Richard Gordon said Wednesday. “Ako ay nalulungkot na nangyayari itong mga pagkakataon na ito sa ating bayan at sa loob ng 2011 to present ika-15 na siya na pinapatay sa Muntinlupa within and outside the gate, mga Bucor officials,” Gordon, blue ribbon chairman, told reporters.


“Walang takot ang mga taong ito. It is a rubout, it is a warning to all na kapag ikaw ay may nalalaman at nagsalita kaya ka namin patayin. Lahat ng pinatay sa Munti walang naso-solve. This is very serious and I call on the President and Secretary of Justice,” he added. He said Santos was the third BuCor official killed since the time of former director Nicanor Faeldon. He mentioned Chief Administrative Officer 3, killed in August 2019, and Ruperto Traya CO1 Porferio Bergula, who was assigned at the Medium Security Compound, killed in November 2019. He said President Rodrigo Duterte and Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra should take a closer look on the death of Santos.


“Wala naman naso-solve and that is why it is important that President Duterte takes a closer look at it…I will not speculate pero kapag nagdabog ang Presidente, sabihin solve it e kaya ‘yan,” he said. He expressed belief that the President’s attention on the case could end the unsolved killings. “A directive from the President will help, directive from Secretary of Justice will help,” he added. Last year, Santos testified before the Senate Blue Ribbon hearing on the GCTA (Good Conduct Time Allowance) controversy, particularly the aborted release of former Calauan Mayor Antonio Sanchez.


He said that then-BuCor director Nicanor Faeldon was made aware of Department of Justice Memo 953, which states that releasing convicts sentenced to reclusion perpetua, whether or not through the GCTA, would require the department's approval. Santos' statement contradicted Faeldon's earlier claim that he was not aware of the memo. During the hearing, Faeldon admitted that he signed a memo ordering the release of convicted rapist-murderer Sanchez but had to recall it later on.


Source: gmanetwork.com