April 2 ------ The Department of Health (DOH) on Wednesday reported 227 new cases of COVID-19, raising the Philippines’ number of confirmed cases to 2,311. The DOH said eight more COVID-19 patients have passed away, bringing the death toll to 96. All eight deceased patients were Filipino senior citizens. Some of them had underlying conditions such as hypertension, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, coronary artery disease, prostatic cancer, myocarditis, diabetic ketoacidosis, acute kidney injury, hypothyroidism, diabetes mellitus, and cardiac disease.
The new deaths involved Patient 1089, a 65-year-old woman from Quezon City; Patient 415, a 79-year-old woman from Makati City; Patient 1299, a 73-year-old man from Pasig City; Patient 1811, a 66-year-old man from Parañaque City; Patient 621, a 77-year-old man from Manila; Patient 1039, an 84-year-old man from Mandaluyong City; Patient 1723, a 70-year-old man from Cebu City; and Patient 692, an 80-year-old man from San Juan City.
Meanwhile, another patient has recovered from the disease, bringing the total number of recoveries to 50. The latest patient to recover is Patient 179, a 59-year-old Filipino from Taguig City. He was discharged from the hospital last March 29. The Health department has previously said that the spike of COVID-19 cases is due to the enhanced testing capacity, with five subnational laboratories now processing the testing of COVID-19 samples, aside from the Research Institute for Tropical Medicine.