MANILA, Philippines, March 11 ------ The Philippines on Tuesday recorded nine new cases of the novel coronavirus infections in the country, bringing the total to 33. More than an hour before the press briefing, the Department of Health announced that the total number of infections in the Philippines stood at 35, after 11 additional cases were detected. But Assistant Secretary Maria Rosario Vergeire clarified that the 11 cases were actually the number of samples taken from coronavirus patients.
“Upon verification, two of the positive samples are repeat tests on samples taken from Patients 7 and 8,” Vergeire said. President Rodrigo Duterte on Monday night announced that the total count of confirmed cases was 24.
The new cases are admitted in the following hospitals:
• Patient 21 – Dr. Jose N. Rodriguez Memorial Hospital and Sanitarium in Caloocan City
• Patient 22 – Cardinal Santos Medical Center in San Juan
• Patient 23 – San Lazaro Hospital in Manila
• Patient 24 – St. Luke’s Medical Center Quezon City
• Patients 25 to 26 – New Clark City quarantine facility
• Patients 27 to 33 – The Medical City in Pasig
Vergeire said that of the 13 new cases, patients 21, 22, 23 and 24 are in stable condition, while patients 25 and 26 are asymptomatic. Patients 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 and 33 are “for verification,” the DOH official said. Patients 25 and 26 were repatriated from the Diamond Princess, a cruise ship in Japan that saw an outbreak of COVID-19.